Jogi's Käs-Spätzle-Page ( Cheese-Noodles)
Käse-Spätzle are an old swabian meal with little and simple additions.
In lots of swabian households the paste is still scratched from a wooden board, although there exist a lot of helpers
like a so called "Spätzles-Hobel" ( with differently big holes and with or without a paste-flow-edge at the
or a "Spätzles"-stamp ( leads normally to very uniform, long "Spätzle").
I prefer a "Knöpfles-Hobel", mine has holes with 7mm diameter and no paste-flow-edge.
What is needed ?
per person: ( rounded )
- 100 g of rubbed cheese - I usually take a 3:1 mixture from
Emmentaler and Gouda - ( this is with respect to my student times: ALDI !)
- One half of the flour and the eggs are mixed and afterwards the remainder of the flour is gradually added, along with the salt and the mineralwater.
A correct &qout;Spätzles"-paste must actually made by hand, I use a mixer nearly until the end.
But after addition of the last flavour I use a cook-spoon and strike the paste by hand.
- The paste has the right consistency when it blisters
- While the paste rests ( for about ½h) the onions are cut to rings or half-rings and fried at medium heat (glassy to brown )
- Now a large pot with salt-water has to be boiled.
- Attention: only scratch/plane/press the paste (in portions) into the water if it is really boiling
- a soon as the "Spätzle" come to the water surface they are ready and have to be scooped with a skimmer.
- the dripped of Spätzle are now arranged in a fireproof dish, in several layers with the cheese and the onions.
(in lots of restaurants it is only one layer of Spätzle covered with cheese and onion, this leads to a very dry meal !)
- the topmost layer should be covered very good with cheese and onion.
Now this has to be heated at 150-200°C in the oven until the cheese flows and the onions are gold-brown.
- I normally "serve" this with "Weissbier", but this is up to you !
Enjoy yout meal !
Sign Jogi's Guest-Book
comments, ideas ... to email@example.com
Back to Jogi's Homepage